This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 4 years, 9 months ago by admin.

• Author
     Ryan
    Participant

This is more a question about Live than the DataLooper, but I figured I’d ask here.

Is there a way to use the looper with the track’s monitor turned off? I run my guitar and Live through my Helix, then out to a cab and/or FOH. So when the monitor is turned on in Live I get a super-slight slapback delay from the lag. The problem is when I turn the track’s monitor off, the looper device won’t record. Is there a way around this?

I don’t have this issue when using clip-mode, just the looper.

Thanks!

admin
    Keymaster

Yep, in the Looper device, bottom right corner change Input->Output from always to never.

Jon Adams
    Participant

Thanks! I came here to ask the exact same thing (with funnily enough the exact same setup, using a Helix as well), this was driving my batty.

I’ll give this a go tonight to see if I can get in the flow again.

Jon Adams
    Participant

Ok, I tried this out today and it doesn’t quite work with the way I have it set up but maybe I can arrange my live set a bit?

So, I tried building a set that routes a group of organic instrument inputs to a channels with Loopers (DL#1, DL#2, DL#3), basically I have a 4-5 inputs feeding this one channel. Unfortunately the audio doesn’t get sent to that channel if monitoring is off, so I get that nasty electric snapback if I am sending things to the looper channel.

I am going to try a few other options but I think I hit the LED bug as Ableton no longer notices my looper, and the lights aren’t coming on. I’ll try a few things sans the looper and report back but if you have any insights let me know :).

admin
    Keymaster

The way I do this is put all the instruments in a group, then create a separate track outside the group for the looper and set the track input to the group output. Then, set monitoring to auto and select never on input-output. That way, you are hearing the direct instruments through the group track, and the output of the looped group through the looper track.

Jon Adams
    Participant

I figured out a solution that works for me.

I create a group of all the inputs that I want to loop.
    That group has its output set to sends only.
    I set monitoring in for all of these.
    The input for my channels with loopers is the name of that group.

I then create another copy of of that group for recording purposes, on that group, the tracks are armed and everything is set to monitor off. Basically the monitor is required to send to the looper but we don’t actually need to hear it if we are careful.

Jon Adams
    Participant

Oh I your way may actually be cleaner, I’ll try both. I think I am doing the inverse :).

Christian Doering
    Participant

I use Live with an AXE-FX III as the input and output device. The AXE-FX is also feeding the PA so I don’t want to hear a slightly delayed copy of the external input signal — just the loops when they’re playing. I set the Looper to go into playback mode after recording, not overdub. I set Input -> Output to Never. I set the track’s Monitor to Auto. When doing the MIDI setup I assign the first button on the left to both the Looper “Pedal” (what Live calls it – some people refer to the Big Button) and the track’s Arm button. This way when I start the Looper the track is armed, when I go into Play mode the track is unarmed and the external input is not heard at the output.

This does not work in Clip mode. Apparently the DataLooper does not send a MIDI note or CC message in Clip mode.

admin
    Keymaster

I think all you need to do is leave the track record armed, but turn monitoring to off. This way, only the output of the clip will play butbno signal will pass through. It shouldn’t be necessary to trigger the record arm. If you need to, you can reprogram the datalooper to also send a midi cc command.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2024 DataLooper

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account